When I was younger I was a cub scout. I remember them trying to teach me about the differences between the different types of wild berries that we would encounter during our nature hikes and camping trips. Unfortunately (depending on how you see it), the only actual thing I can remember about the different berries is a parent quipping “Can’t you just read the labels.”
A pointless story I guess, but it brings me to my point: Next time you’re on a nature hike through your local grocer with your little cub or brownie scout, be sure to pick up a few extra berries so you can make this month’s Infusion of the Month.
Very Berry Medley
1 cup of blueberries
1 cup of (white) raspberries
1 cup of strawberries
¼ cup of sugar
7 – 14 days
1. Clean fruit
2. Place fruit into a small saucepan, along with the sugar and heat up, stirring occasionally, until the fruit becomes soft. The fruits juices should start to seep out of them
3. Funnel this mixture into a clean, dry mason jar
4. Add the vodka and mix/shake
5. Let sit in a cool, dark place for 7 – 14 days, shaking daily
6. When to taste, strain the mixture and return the infused vodka to a clean dry bottle for storage
If you prefer a sweeter product you can always adjust the sugar levels in this drink to one’s own taste preferences. I often find I end up preferring a sweeter infusion in my light liquor and a drier version when it comes to darks.
Feel free to leave your own comments, tweaks, and experiences in the comment section (of the actual post: here).